[224] SPICE BOX (Part I) RESAW WIDE BOARDS

Posted: viernes, 29 de julio de 2011 by Superhero!! in
0

I received the August 2011 #191 issue from Popular Woodworking Magazine at the doors of my house a month ago. The cover project is a Pennsylvania Spice Box. It's style, design and proportions captured my attention. Then, while I was reading the 8 pages article, I noticed some techniques I haven't tried ever. That project looks like a fantastic challenge for me, so I started to work on it last weekend.
.
Picture from Popular Woodworking Magazine...
.
Because this is a large project for a single post, I'm going to divide in 2, -may be 3- parts. By the way, I'm going to write only about the new techniques I had to learn to acomplish this project. I was tempted to write a full review, step by step, but I believe it isn't a good idea. That was the job of PWM.
.
.
RESAW WIDE BOARDS.
For the whole project I bought 3 rough boards 1 in. thick (mahogany). Since the shelves, dividers and door panels are 1/4 in. thick, it's obvious that I needed to do some resawing. Because my lack of  bandsaw, I always resaw on the table saw working in two passes. This way I can resaw up to 6 in. wide panels, no more. My first challenge was to resaw 7-1/2 in. wide boards for the shelves. What to do?. 
Take your boards to a proffesional workshop and pay for the service... or...
Cut two kerf 3 in. deep on each edge like shown in the picture below. Note that the clamps are applying pressure at the no kerf zone.
.
.
Then use a hand saw to complete the cut. Both kerf helps to guide the saw, and with only 1-1/2 in. remaining stock to be cut, this is really fast and straightforward. I feel me silly because this is something that I didn't figured out before. Oh, and I had to buy a hand saw, I never had one of those, until now...
.
.
This is what the boards looks like after resawing. There is some remaining material at the center because the hand saw have a thinner kerf than the table saw. Note that this is my first time using a hand saw.
.
.
Next step is to do some clean up with a fore plane, followed by jointer plane. I'm also learning a lot about hand planes and using them more. I began to feel comfortable with hand tools, but I will never say good bye to my power tools.
.
.
The boards are around 5/16 in. thick. Their final dimension will be 1/4 in., but before getting them to final dimension I will wait a few days, meanwhile I keep them between sticks to allow air flow.
I'm novice using hand planes, and I like to use them as much as I can, but in this case, I'm sure I will use my power thickness planer to get my boards on final dimension.
.
.
You can also read:
Part I: Resaw wide boards
Part III: Ogee bracet feet
.
.
Nos vemos luego!!!

0 comments: