[223] STEP STOOL

Posted: jueves, 21 de julio de 2011 by Superhero!! in
8

When I saw this project in Popular Woodworking Magazine I knew I had to build it. It is under the "I Can do That" seccion, it's an easy project. In fact, it's too easy for me, no challenge, no new technique, but I liked the design, it's a cute step-stool for my daugther. So, what the heck... let's build it.
.
STEP STOOL
.

.
.
A couple of years ago a mahogany tree was felled because an hurricane at a parcel that belong to my friend Oscar. He cut the log into manageable sections and ask me to take it away from his yard. I was happy to get wood for free. I'm not skilled to use a chainsaw but I did my best.
.
.
I know there are simplest ways to flatten a board, but I already have this sled, and I'm used to use it. I can get dead-flat boards without any fuss.
After one face gets flattened, I turn it over and pass it again trough the thicknesser planer without the sled.
.
.
I recently bought digital version of Handplane Essentials by Christoper Schwarz. What a great book!, I am learning a LOT so I'm starting to use my handplanes more often. Here I'm straightening one edge. The sound of a well tuned handplane is unique.
.
.
Once the faces and one edge are true I simply use my table saw to rip the board to width. Yes, I know, I know, it's a small benchtop table saw... I have an eye on a bigger tablesaw, from Makita... but I'm just dreaming...
.
.
This is what the boards looks like after rough cut. Dimensions are not final. I Usually do the rough cut 1/8" or 1/4" oversized on the table saw. This time I had a lot of leftover lumber (marked with an "X")
.
.
For this project I go the easy way. I trim my workpieces to final width by using my thickness planer. My workpieces will match their exact width with ease, but the edges probably won't be perfectly squared, in this particular project that doesn't matter.
.
.
Quick and easy: I cut to final length on my miter saw. Piece of cake.
.
.
When all my workpieces are on final dimensions, I cut a roundover on every posible edge. This is also a piece of cake on my router table. Have you noticed the router lift mechanism?
.
.
For this project I needed two dowels 30" long. I already have dowels in my workshop, but their diameter was a bit larger than 1". Go to downtown to buy new dowels was not an option, I'm sure I would have had a very similar crap. In order to fix the dowel I came up with this quick and simple sort of "lathe". I turn on the hand drill with one hand, and use the other hand to rub a sandpaper against the dowel. I find this kind of experiments very funny. It's good to have a wagon vise in my workbench. 
.
.
I applied dye on the dowels, then glue up the thing.
.
.
Just to have more fun in this project, and for better look, it ocurred to me to use wood plugs as an easy and attractive way to hide screw head. I decided to use a very contrasting wood: Ziricote. This time I'm going to shut up and let the pictures speak for themselves:

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
My daugther, Noelia, approved my work.
.
.
.
Nos vemos luego!!!


8 comments:

  1. Hola amigo, he estado siguiendo tu blog durante varios dias, desde que lo descubri no he dejado de leerlo, tambien he demorado en leerlo porque no entiendo mucho el ingles jaja.

    Una pregunta, la broca que usas para hacer los "taquete" donde la conseguiste? requiero una.

    Te agradecere tu ayuda.

    Saludos!!

  1. What's up!!
    .
    ja ja ja mi ingles no es bueno, lo sé. Lo que pasa es que redactar en ingles es mi propia técnica de auto-aprendizaje.

    .
    Esa broca la consegui en el Home Depot de la ciudad de cancún. Pero estoy seguro que en cualquier otro HomeDepot también está disponible. Las hay de varias medidas. La mia me costó unos $200 pesos mas o menos.
    .
    Existe otra forma de fabricar taquetes sin necesidad de equipo especial. Prepara tu taladro y consigue algún trozo de solera de acero porque en mi proximo post lo voy a describir.

  1. Hola amigo, no habia podido leer tu blog :( he estado bastante atareado y me he perdido de tus maravillosos trabajos por un tiempo jeje. Dices que en Cancún? Alli vives? Yo soy de Mérida :)
    Te Felicito por tus trabajos que son de verdad inspiradores, por cierto, veo que tienes la mesa para router con mecanismo, tienes algun post donde describas como la hiciste? Podrias facilitarme algun plano? Te dejo mi correo por si pudieras, te lo agradeceria infinitamente, raul_isaac_ml@hotmail.com

    Yo actualmente soy aprendiz de Lauderia, llevo dos años aprendiendo el oficio de manera autodidacta, apenas estoy montando mi taller, espero algun dia tener un taller algo parecido al tuyo jeje. Bueno me despido, te deseo un generoso y feliz año. Saludos!!

  1. Carlos Gutierrez says:

    Buenas, vi tu blog muy interesante, dos preguntas cual es el nombre del aparatico para hacer taquitos y que tal te ha salido la desgruesadora de madera

  1. carlos gutierresz
    .
    hola, esa broca para hacer los taquitos la compre en un homedepot... aqui en mexico la conocemos como -Cortador de madera para taquetes y tapones-.
    .
    la desgruesadora es un cepillo para madera de la marca truper. es excelente para trabajo LIGERO, deja un excelente acabado, no me ha dado ningun problema en dos años de uso, usa un par de cuchillas que se consiguen como repuesto original a un precio economico.

  1. Unknown says:

    OYE SI QUIERO MAS PROYECTOS DONDE TE PUEDO CONTACTAR YA QUE ESTAN MUY INTEREZANTES
    MI CORREO POR SI ME PUEDES MANDAR ALGO
    jesusl1985@gmail.com

  1. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.
  1. Excelente Blog, eres una persona muy creativa y con mucho talento, al igual que tu a mi me fascina el woodworking, quisiera pasarme horas y horas, pero mi jornada laboral me lo impide y solo aproveche al máximo mi fin de semana para trabajar en mi pequeño taller improvisado (rincón muy pequeño de mi casa) ....... quisiera que me proporcionaras las medidas de tu pequeño step stool, te lo agradecería mucho,, saludos y sigue incentivando con esos proyectos tuyos...te dejo mi correo ione@live.com.mx